Thursday 18 March 2010

Visiting Old Friends

Last week I was invited to return to Cornwall to conduct a presentation for the 2nd year film students at University College Falmouth.

The problem is....I tend to have some difficulty returning to this seaside town. It holds so many memories and is ultimately where I truly became the person I am today. There is a huge part of me that never really left and leaving again is like tearing those two pieces apart once more.

However, homesickness, nostalgia and soul-splitting aside, I found the process of presenting and compiling my work experience over the last 18 months hugely rewarding. Having just gone through this dreaded winter period of 'what am I doing with my life?' and 'Can I really call myself a film producer?' and 'Am I really any good at this?' it grounded me back into reality. I have evidence (albeit in the form of a classroom powerpoint) that my journey so far has not been a waste of time and a path of progression is steadily emerging.

I was inspired by the dedication and enthusiasm of the students themselves determined to make it in the film world. I really hope that they follow their dreams through as I've seen so many not even leave the front door to start the journey.

It was wonderful to see my tutors again - always encouraging and heartwarmingly, seemingly proud of my achievements to date. I'm glad I've maintained this relationship with Falmouth. Long may it continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment