Friday 19 February 2010

Bumps in the Road

January was a particularly S.A.D. month. Have you heard of seasonal affective disorder? It's where we get depressed through lack of sunshine in the short winter days. This combined with cabin fever caused by the relentless snow meant that I had far too much time to dwell on what I was doing with my life.

Unfortunately the real issue that was getting me down was not one but two unsuccessful funding applications. As a producer, which for some people means the 'money-finder', I was starting to feel a bit useless.

Along with the funding problemo, I had also undertaken a rather large task of location managing for Panther Films feature "Jackals" www.jackalsthemovie.com. Initially this seemed like a wise choice. I had originally been appointed as production manager but found that the role was too much given the other projects I had running in parallel with Overlook and Raindrop. I therefore decided to scale the role down. It also gave me the opportunity to improve my location hunting and negotiating skills. After months of trying to secure a particular farm location not just for "Jackals" but also for Raindrops second short "Escape" it seemed that at the end of January I had finally won through. However, this was only the beginning of the battle.

Meanwhile Overlook's projects which I had always intended to keep forefront in my mind were being steadily neglected. Too many hurdles, too much stress and not enough project fulfillment to keep me going. My general feeling was that it was time for a change.

No comments:

Post a Comment